Welcome! We're glad you found us. This is a class blog for Women in Performance: Choreographies of Resistance (WMST/DNCE 323) at California State University San Marcos. Throughout the semester we will be focusing on a range of topics with an emphasis on movement and feminism. "[We take on] multiple perspectives of women who have resisted cultural norms to forge new and brave perspectives on the body". This blog will help the students to create an exploration of the course material in relation to real world connections and experiences. Please feel free to take a look around, post questions, or comments. We hope you enjoy our findings and learn something new in the process.

Monday, February 13, 2012

I Call it CUNT

By: Krista Ahlgrim

I am rejecting the negative connotations you have put on it and reclaiming it for the sexual, powerful, vital, word that it is. CUNT. It is beautiful really. I don't know why in hell anyone would use it in a negative manner. Everyone likes them. Boys are fascinated by them, men cant get enough of them, women spend a good amount of time with it. I like to call it "me" time. Cunt Time. Personal time with me, myself, and my cunt.
When I hear the word thrown around in such a horrible way I always think to myself,
has a cunt really ever done anything bad?
What did a cunt ever do to you besides give you extreme pleasure, warmth, electricity through your entire body, love, tingling sensations..... hmmm now I am confused.

Maybe your missing the cunt?
Not getting the cunt?
Jealous of the cunt?
Abusing the cunt?
Hiding from the cunt? (you scared, scared thing)

Go ahead, call me a cunt. I like the word.
C U N T
cunt.




Found this video of this monologue and I fell in love with her. Enjoy Friends

4 comments:

  1. I think that what you have posted here is so powerful! Ever since I was little my mom told me that to call someone a cunt or to even say the word was a terrible thing to do. After reading the vagina monologues I called my mom and asked her why she thought that cunt was such a bad word and she told me that she wasn't really sure, it was just disrespectful and something that you didn't say to people. She was told by other people or by society that cunt was a bad word and then passed it on to me. I like the fact that we can reinvent the word for future generations and that it doesn't need to be such a bad thing. There is nothing bad about a vagina and giving the word cunt a terrible meaning is making a vagina something terrible, which it is not!
    Thank you for helping reinvent the word cunt for us all.
    -Brenna Norris

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word “Cunt” also correlates with many other sexual terms and the way that they are expressed. Throughout my life I’ve heard many others use the words, “dick,” or “pussy” very provocatively and I think that these are also not bad words. The way these words are expressed can be negative or positive depending on how we say them.
    -Tri Nguyen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what you wrote is very powerful. Growing up I learned that the word CUNT was a bad word. When I would hear others say CUNT it sounded horrible, it was a word I didn't want to hear because it was bad. Now that i'm older and have learned more about my own body, about myself, about feminism and much more I realize that CUNT is not a word that is bad. Actually I think it is a great word. I associate it with "me." It is a part of me. I don't like it when people use the word in such a negative way.I was a bit curious of how the word cunt was defined as in different dictionaries so I went ahead and looked up the word CUNT in four different dictionaries and they all say it is female genital organs and underneath that it says that it's a taboo word and that it is an obscence and vulgar word. I found this very interesting because I can see that society has added the negative connotation to the word CUNT. If each one of us educate others about this word and what it means in Women's Studies and how it has been reclaimed by women we can change the bad connotation behind CUNT.It is not going to be easy and quick but, we can make a difference. - Yussett Navarrete

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your post,Krista.:)Since we have different culture background,i never heard this word until i took this class. Sometimes i assume that why i never heard this word before? Don't I have enough American friends? We are not really friend or close to each other? Or something else? But now, i got it. Nobody loves to talk about cunt. Many people especially women consider this as a taboo. They think the word "cunt" is impolite, rude, and disrespectful. But, why people will have this feeling? Ain't cunt really a good word?For me, cunt is amazing,beautiful,and so great.Everybody loves it. If there's no cunt, there's no live. I am totally agree with you, Krista.Do not avoid this beautiful word, speak it out!Loudly!

    ReplyDelete