Welcome! We're glad you found us. This is a class blog for Women in Performance: Choreographies of Resistance (WMST/DNCE 323) at California State University San Marcos. Throughout the semester we will be focusing on a range of topics with an emphasis on movement and feminism. "[We take on] multiple perspectives of women who have resisted cultural norms to forge new and brave perspectives on the body". This blog will help the students to create an exploration of the course material in relation to real world connections and experiences. Please feel free to take a look around, post questions, or comments. We hope you enjoy our findings and learn something new in the process.

Monday, February 13, 2012

I was there in the room


By: Patrisha Wright 
While reading The Vagina Monologues, the monologue that struck me the most: “I Was There in The Room” because it accentuated a birthing video called Lady Giving Birth. When I saw the vagina giving birth to a baby, I asked myself why in the world I started watching it. I threw my hands up in the air and asked aloud “why are there videos like this on Youtube?” I felt a little disgusted as I trudged on with the clip and horrified at the thought of scissors cutting at the vagina. I shiver at the thought and am amazed at the woman giving birth, because afterwards, her vagina will be in enormous pain. I hope someday I will never need to experience an abnormal birth, because in the clip, her baby is facing downwards when it should be up, hence, the need for cutting the vagina. At the end of the clip, she delivers a healthy baby. Eve Ensler points out that she saw her all spread out, “mutilated, swollen and torn, bleeding all over the doctor’s hands that was calmly sewing up her vagina” (Ensler 121-125). Ensler illustrates the abuse that a woman’s body is inundated with during child birth but also the beautiful blessings bestowed upon them. The vagina is a powerful thing because it is capable of giving life, and men are unwilling to understand, appreciate, and demonstrate respect towards women’s bodies. As a result, they take women for granted-turn them into objects, and playthings without any regard to the consequences women will face. Women sacrifice their vaginas to bring life into the world. The vagina needs love. There are women who are victims of rape and their vaginas should never need to tell a story of violence. This monologue is empowering to women’s vaginas and also voices a demand that women be respected. 

5 comments:

  1. I must agree with you, Patrisha, I was moved by this monologue too. I was not aware of a video, however, and I'm not sure I want to watch it! The story itself was moving enough. I was impressed by how much awe Ms. Ensler felt by seeing the power, the strength, the flexibility of a woman's vagina, and the beautiful gift of life that it is capable of.

    Lisa Gloff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely love this and I agree with every aspect of what you have written. For assignment #3, I wrote about this particular monologue. This too, was my favorite one. This struck me the most because I was there in the room when my cousin gave birth to my niece last year. I never quite understood the miracle of birth until I witnessed it myself. Although, I haven't fully experienced giving birth yet, it really pulled me closer emotionally. I wasn't freaked out about seeing my cousin's vagina and my niece's head pop out it. I was just in tears through out it all and it made me happy. "The heart is capable of sacrifice. So is the vagina" (Ensler). Love and respect to all the women out there and their vaginas. It's a very powerful and compelling thing like a heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree that I was moved by this reading because it forced me to understand why I was having difficulty reading it and just how interesting the woman’s body can be, and the fact that we give life, men can’t do that…HA! This was not only difficult for me to read this but when I went to the vagina monologues it was difficult for me to listen to it. The sad part is that I had a child already so when I started reading it I figured I was totally fine and then started to feel nauseated and really uncomfortable so I asked myself why? And continued to read and I think it may be partially because I did not have to go through the birth process I had a c-section so I did not experience this and…this reading was the unknown to me and the pure graphic detail of her being spread and the blood vessels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both the monologue "I Was There in The Room" and your post are powerful. I totally agree with you, Trisha. I remember the first time I read this monologue, I was shocked. To be honest, the words Ms. Ensler used led me in to that situation. I never have a chance to be in that room to see one of my friends or relatives gave birth to a baby. I can imagine how painful is that, but I could not understand that pain now. I believe, later, there's one day I will understand. I love one quote from the monologue, "I stood and her vagina suddenly, became a wide red pulsing heart. The heart is capable of sacrifice. So is the vagina." And Ii also love you said "The vagina needs love." That's absolutely right. Vagina is the greatest organ in female's body. We love it. We are proud of it. We are glad that we have it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patrisha, it has been awhile since I thought about our readings for the Vagina Monologues. I was just reading through your blog post and I have had two natural/vaginal births. Both of my children were as the doctors say "sunny side up". Facing down, but face up. (If that makes sense) My son was a much larger baby than my daughter weighing in at an even 10 lbs. The doctor and nurse were amazing. They did not need to cut and mutilate and I am grateful I did not have to experience the procedure and outcome the women in the reading did. Through some sort of movements with my legs and the doctor physically turning the baby, my son was born properly and without complications. I can remember feeling complete relief when he was finally born. After all that, I feel that men, all men, should have to watch a birthing video not just women. I am not sure if this can be shown in a health class in High School or not, but I think they need to be aware of what a women's vagina goes through. Maybe they will learn a little respect for women and our bodies.

    ReplyDelete